Peace and Tranquility in Somerset
Batcombe Vale is a quiet campsite set in the green hills of Somerset and offers not only stunning views but peace and tranquillity, where the buzzards soar on the thermals and the waterside statue is a real heron.
The Natural Beauty of Somerset
Batcombe is designated "an area of outstanding natural beauty". Set in the middle of one of it's secluded valleys is an enclosure of trees, lakes and wild landscaped gardens around Batcombe Vale House.
Camping and Caravan Facilities in Somerset and Dorset
The landscaping includes thirty individual pitches of mown grass, all adjacent a hard roadway. There are electric hook-ups; water, drainage and rubbish points. A log cabin contains basins, sinks and showers with free hot water, together with toilets and a chemical disposal unit and tourist information, all well lit after dark. There are 3 good pubs within 3 miles of the campsite all offering excellent food and ale. We are a dog friendly site, all pets are welcome (please see notes regarding dogs at the bottom of this page).
Recreation and Leisure
The 120 acre valley around the campsite is part of Batcombe Vale; you are welcome to wander and picnic in the fields and enjoy the company of the cows. Free rowing boats provide fun for children and adults alike (parents are fully responsible for their children's safety and behaviour). There are many shaded glades designed for you to hide away with a good book or just relax and observe the abundant wildlife.
Three of the lakes within the campsite have scores of carp and tench up to 20lbs for the 'fisher folk'. We expect the fish to be treated kindly with the use of barbless hooks and landing nets, - keep nets are forbidden. Please see notes at bottom of this page for more information on Course Fishing at Batcombe Vale.
Somerset Tourist Attractions
You are in the heart Somerset; use a footpath map from the information folders and take one of the many circular walks, which can last from one hour to all day. The Saxon village of ' Bata his cwm ' lies hidden in the neighbouring valley with one of the finest Perpendicular Gothic church towers in Somerset.
A short car drive can take you to:
- Longleat - Safari Park
- East Somerset Railway
- Wells - Cathedral and Bishop's Palace
- Stourhead - Gardens and House
- Cheddar Gorge
- Fleet Air Arm Museum
- Sparkford Motor Museum
- Somerset Cider Makers
- Wookey Hole
- Bath & West Showground
- Local Golf Course
- Indoor Sports Facilities
day's outing could be to:
- The Colliers Way (cycle ride)
- The Somerset and Dorset Coast
Batcombe Vale Campsite Video Tour...
To most people a dog is very important, whereas to others, dogs are not, and can be quite frightening especially to small children (and our local wild life). So would owners please accept the following, conditions: One dog per pitch is welcome without prior arrangement. Dogs must be kept on leads at all times. Always clean up after your dog. Please us the valley fields to exercise your dog. Finally, please respect your neighbouring campers they may not be dog lovers. Certain breeds are not accepted, please check when booking.
We are able to offer a natural and peaceful environment, especially if weekends and school holidays are avoided. To achieve this, we discourage bookings that have the potential for any form of group celebration.
"At Batcome Vale we treasure absolute peace, and you are welcome to share it; but come quietly! "
Notes on Coarse Fishing : Lakes : 3 and 4
- There are Carp, Tench and Rudd up to 20lbs and a variety of other types of smaller fish.
- Please fish from numbered stations, where the grass will be kept mown; elsewhere flowers are encouraged to grow. If family or friends wish to share a station, please reach agreement with your neighbouring station.
- All fish must be returned swiftly and without the use of keep-nets. Barbless hooks only.
- A current fishing license must be held. Fishing time, ad. lib. from dawn to dusk. Your intention to fish for the first time must be registered at the Reception.
- The fee to fish ad lib between dawn and dusk any day is : Adults £5; Children under 16 £2.50 for every day of your stay, regardless of how often you fish. No night fishing.
- No responsibility is accepted for injury to persons or damage to equipment.